Sunday Pour

They’re still wet… I was going for a marble effect via pour on purchased wooden cross plaques. Both used the same color mixes, but not in the same ratios. One cross has more white and silver and the other has more delft blue. Making two to gift one to a friend… not sure which one he will choose.

I did a little test drizzle on paper first and decided to omit the lighter blue because adding a liquid white to delft blue from an old little tube was a bad mix that just didn’t want to stir up completely smooth. I don’t know if you can tell from this next photo, but there’s like a zillion little micro lumps in that little cup of lighter blue.

Colors from top: silver, white, black, 2 cups of delft blue, and a bad mix of delft blue and white.

Mixing up paint for pouring is, when you stop and think about it, pretty much just a little home chemistry experiment. Just poured or drizzled over each other resulted in a few micro lumps, more evident when dry. Not a lot, just enough to add a little texture, if considered a happy accident. I’m thinking of buying a bottle of that gloss top coat, the type you pour on… that might give it a smooth surface. I’m going to order online because that stuff is like $20 locally for a 16 oz. bottle… cheaper at Dick Blick. Here’s what the crosses look dry, without a clear coat. I do like the way the blues came out darker.

A part of me can’t help but ask myself: why am I playing home chemistry with acrylic paints, mixing stuff up and adding drops of oils and all that? Why not just play with resins? Or, try some alcohol inks?

Inks might be interesting… never tried alcohol inks, used to draw with inks like 20 or 30 years ago… maybe I should buy some watercolor paint? I’ve got plenty of pencils, don’t really feel into colored pencils right now… brushes? Do I need a new brush? Do I have enough art papers?

Okay, am I the only one who goes through this “what do I need” thing just to rack the total up high enough to qualify for free shipping when ordering online?

What I need is a couple good sized or several smaller glass mirrors, cracked or broken would be perfect because I’m going to cut them up into mosaic tiles. The only requirement is they need to be ye about the same thickness as stained glass or it will be a royal pain rising one or the other (can do it, just work upside down). The obelisk project is on hold until I find some old mirrors. I thought I had a box of mirror shards, but guess that’s long gone, maybe given away on a move years ago. I could buy a couple glass door mirrors, that would do, but buying new kind of defeats the recycle aspect.

So, words on the wind… if anyone local has any old mirrors they’re willing to part with, drop me a note or message me on Facebook. Thank you!.

WIP: Mosaic Obelisk (update #1)

It doesn’t look like much, but that is the substrate for my latest project, a mosaic obelisk. It is made of recycled Styrofoam covered with tarp-like plastic (recycled packaging from huge bags of outdoor formula cat food), hard board (to stiffen it up a bit) sealed with duct tape, and the latest layer: wire mesh window screen glued tight to the surface with a thin layer of multi-purpose ceramic tile adhesive.

The angles are not precisely perfect but eh, it’s yard art… for MY yard (not for sale). Plan is to mosaic it with a mix of sea glass, stained glass, broken mirrors, and odd elements leftover from previous projects.

The top is flat instead of pyramid shape because I plan to top it with a glass bowl shaped solar light that I picked up at the dollar store. I bought two. The other is out in the future strawberry patch on top of a remodeled Spore.

I can’t toss broken art out, if something about it can be salvaged… that was my tallest Spore. It didn’t survive the harsh winds of a last winter storm. Of course, it had already been busted and repaired a few times, thanks to a big dog and two rowdy little boys. Here’s what it looked like years ago, with the other two when freshly grouted.

Mosaic Yard Spores, 2007

Thanks for viewing my art!